09 July 2013

Folks call me Dill

Dear Colleague,

    Our weather, in the swamp that is the Gulf Coast, is thick with humidity this week. Not great for the
human, but wonderful for the herb. My garden, she does grow with dreamy scents. I am particularly interested in my Dill plant. It has grown to the size of a bush.
    When I look at my plant, I think of J.S. Bach. I imagine him a stoutly fellow, smiling as he wondered the streets, his puffy cheeks grinning at the ladies as they passed, his ear hearing a tune for the Sunday service. I don’t know why, but I imagine him as fuzzy.
     My Dill plant has long stems and branching out from them are fuzzy arms of the herb, thousands and thousands of fuzzy arms. The extensions much like Bach’s family - his children, his music.
     I don’t have to tell you Bach’s history, as I am sure you know it well, but I feel I have much to tell you about Dill and share with you a simple recipe for a tuna fish sandwich. I know, such a common folk thing, but oh so wonderful when made correctly.
     First to Dill – It is known as Anethum graveloens, part of the carrot family. This fact surprised me, but if you think of the ends of a carrot, you might could see a resemblance. So many times the herb gets lumped with Anise or Fennel, (sometimes called false anise or bastard fennel) but on my tongue I taste a whole different flavor.
     I go back to Bach again, and the Partita in A minor for flute. The piece should seem simple, yet the notes on the page are enough to scare any beginning flutist into thinking Bach was a masochist. There are those who say, the piece is just another extension of his Sonatas, a solo part mixed with his love of notes. But yet, this piece does not roll off my fingers like the Sonatas. It has a different coloring.
Yes I know dear friend, I can’t seem to keep my head on one subject, but don’t you see this is how an herb works, a piece of music works – we never stay in one place when using them.
     There is an old wives tale if you hang a bunch of Dill over your door you will be protected against witches. I wonder if it works for door-to-door salesmen. And Dill is mentioned some 5,000 years ago in Egyptian writings. In Roman times it was a symbol of vitality and the oil mixed with potions was used to soothe colicky babies. This is part of where the name Dill comes from. In Old Norse the world dilla means ‘to lull’. (My sources if you wonder are from Reader’s Digest Magic and Medicine of Plants, A $1 purchase at a sale and Medicinal Herbs by Patricia Turcotte, a gift from my mother)
     As for the culinary uses we all know the herb in pickles, fish, and potato dishes. The Germans love it. In North Africa the seeds are used in preparation of meat and in the Soviet Union used in salmon and crayfish.
And you don’t need much, which is why my plant gets so big. I can’t use it fast enough!
     Now let’s talk tuna. People dislike tuna fish sandwiches because they are made with three things – bad tuna, lots of mayo and relish. What a sad state of affairs when we think this is a tuna sandwich!  Of course I know that is the simple easy way, but would you go about practicing the Partita the simple easy way or would you dig in and do it right? Of Course!

My tuna sandwich:
  • First start with the best tuna you can get. Canned or jarred is fine but get top quality.
  • A dollop of mayonnaise
  • 1-2 tsp of grain mustard or Dijon (never yellow)
  • A tablespoon of capers finally minced
  • A tablespoon of onion minced (I like red but white will do)
  • 1-2 tsp of either red wine vinegar or lemon juice
  • Dill – I add about ½ a tsp but sometimes more (chopped)
  • Salt and pepper
  • Really good bread. Sour dough baguettes are wonderful. But plain ol’ wheat works also.
  • Serve with Sea Salt and Vinegar chips and a dill pickle.

Voila!
I think Bach would approve and I can think there might have been a smear or two of juice on his manuscript as he enjoyed his lunch and worked away.
Please send my best to all those afar.
And I remain,


The Mad List Maker

No comments: